This blog was created for the Introduction to Professional Writing class (IMM 140) at the College of New Jersey- therefore, you can expect it to be kind of professional. Right.

Sunday, October 03, 2004

I want to work for JANE so badly.

I went home this weekend to do some work for my local Democratic club. While I'm at school, my mother keeps the mail I receive at home in a pile on my dresser, and every time I head back to Pitman, I practically race past my parents in order to see if I got any of my magazines.

"Yeah, Mom, I haven't seen you in two weeks. But I haven't gotten a new 'Cosmo' in over a month!"

Anyway, on this visit, there was no "Cosmopolitan" waiting for me. (Despite the fact that I've been a subscriber for almost four years, I always seem to get my issue weeks after ShopRite and WaWa.) But I didn't mind that much, because the newest issue of "JANE" was waiting for me. It had slipped off of the dresser and was laying haphazardly on the floor, half on top of some old sneakers. The plastic cover looked a little beat. But it was still a glorious site to me. If I was forced to have only one magazine subscription, I'd give up "Cosmo" in a second.

I know I've said it before, but working for "JANE" is my ultimate career goal. It's fun, it's witty, it attacks serious subjects in a not-so-serious way. The articles are cleverly written, and the writers really interact with their subjects and inject a lot of their personal humor and style into everything they write.

I can't imagine doing straight journalism. I don't like the "no-nonsense, no-frills, just news" attitude. There's so much more I'd like to write about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home