This blog was created for the Introduction to Professional Writing class (IMM 140) at the College of New Jersey- therefore, you can expect it to be kind of professional. Right.

Sunday, November 07, 2004

Internship search!

After meeting with Professor Pearson on Friday afternoon to discuss my schedule for next semester, I determined that it was time to really get on my internship search for summer 2005.

Since I'm more interested in magazine writing than newspaper journalism, I'd really prefer to intern for a magazine, but my home is in south Jersey- a commute to New York would take at least two hours. Also, since this will be my first real internship, it may be better to start smaller, and then use this experience to help me get a bigger internship at a major magazine.

I did a general search of New Jersey internships, and stumbled upon a site that listed all the newspapers in the state that offer summer internships for students. I've already been in contact with the Gloucester County Times, my local paper. But Professor Pearson suggested that I look at the Courier Post, a larger paper with a much larger circulation. On this site, I found an e-mail address, and contacted one of the editors, requesting information about how to apply for an internship. (According to the website, the Courier Post offers seven internships in different departments; I'm most interested in copy editing.) The editor responded to my e-mail almost immediately, and suggested that I contact a different editor.

So those are the results of my internship search so far. I'll e-mail editor #2 sometime today, so that he'll get my e-mail tomorrow. Hopefully after I hear back from him, I'll have some more solid information about the internship application process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home